How to Make Beef Stock – Advice From a Tariq Halal Butcher
When you make stock at home, you have more control over the ingredients than you do when buying stock off the shelf. Homemade stock is also healthier and gives your food a more flavourful, authentic taste.
All you need to make your own stock is leftovers! If you’ve recently roasted some beef, keep any bones, vegetable peels, and herb stalks. You should ideally have at least 1.5kg of bones in addition to one marrow bone. However, if you’re short on bones, you can always buy some fairly cheap from any halal butchers.
Halal Beef Stock
- Beef bones
- Vegetable peels and leftover veg like celery, carrot, onion
- Herb stalks like thyme, rosemary, basil
- Bay leaf
- Cumin seeds
- Put all the ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil before reducing the heat. This step is very important because the froth that comes to the top is made up of impurities that need to be skimmed off from the stock. Periodically scoop the top of the broth with a spoon to remove the froth.
- Leave the stock to simmer slowly, covering the pot. Alternatively, you can put the stock in a slow cooker at this stage.
- Check the stock from time to time to ensure that it isn’t losing too much liquid. The more it reduces, the more enhanced the flavor will be, but feel free to top up with water as needed.
- Once you’re happy with the stock, strain out the vegetables, herbs, and bones from the stock. Remove any fat.
If you plan to store the stock, you’ll need to quickly cool it down to prevent any bacteria from developing. To do this, put the stock pot into a large sink filled with cold or ice water.
Use air-sealed jars like mason jars and aim to use the stock within 3 days. You can also freeze the stock in freezer bags or ice cube trays.
Halal Beef from Tariq Halal
We have several succulent types of meat that are perfect for not only cooking but for using to make halal beef stock. You can also find a wide range of other halal meats and meals at our butchery shop, including:
Whatever type of delicious meats you’re looking for to make that perfect family meal, you can find them at Tariq Halal.