Grilled Vinegar Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks
Chicken thighs and drumsticks don’t get enough credit! There are plenty of recipes using chicken breasts, but the meat on thighs and drumsticks is just as succulent. If you have some chicken legs and aren’t sure what to do with them, this simple marinade gives grilled chicken drumsticks and grilled chicken thighs a sweet and sour kick that’s sure to delight.
The marinade for grilled vinegar chicken only takes a few minutes to make and all you have to do is let the chicken marinate overnight. Try to use chicken with the skin still on as this recipe will make the skin crispy and delicious once it’s cooked.
- 2 ½ cups of packed brown sugar
- 2 cups of cider vinegar
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of mustard
- 4 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 5kg of bone-in chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks
- ½ tsp of seasoned salt
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the chicken and seasoned salt. Once thoroughly combined, separate the mixture into two large shallow dishes.
- Put equal amounts of chicken into the shallow dishes, turning them to coat.
- Cover the dishes and put them into the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken, drain and discard the marinade.
- Sprinkle the seasoned salt over the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and grill it for 15-20 minutes on each side on a medium-low heat.
- Once your meat thermometer reads 170-175, your chicken is ready to eat!
- You can also cook the marinated chicken drumsticks and thighs in the oven, but it won’t have as smoky a taste as it would on the grill. To get the crispiest skin, place the chicken on a roasting pan with a rack or a roasting tin with a rack. This allows the juice to fall through the rack, creating that wonderful crispy chicken skin.
- Preheat your oven to 175C (160C fan) and once your chicken has roasted for about an hour, check the temperature with a meat thermometer.
Juicy and high-quality halal chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs are available from Tariq Halal. Visit our online meat shop to buy the best halal ingredients to make recipes like this and so much more.