Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
Not just for springtime, lamb is one of the most popular meats in the UK. From warming winter stews to Sunday roasts to backyard BBQs, lamb is a tender and full-flavored meat that’s a great source of protein. It’s also leaner than other red meats and is full of vitamins and nutrients like vitamin B12 and iron.
It’s delicious enough to eat without seasonings, but here is an easy and satisfying lamb shanks recipe you can make in your slow cooker.
Lamb Shank Slow Cooker Recipe
- 4 halal lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 250ml red grape juice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Turn on your slow cooker to heat it up.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, add half the oil and brown the lamb shanks. You may need to do this in batches.
- Once browned, put the shanks in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree and flour, cooking for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the grape juice and bring to a boil, stirring to create a smooth sauce. Tip everything into the slow cooker, scraping any residue from the pan.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the stock, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme to the slow cooker and put the lid on.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, turning the shanks at least once.
- Once the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, serve with a parsley garnish.
Note: If the sauce isn’t thick enough, take out the lamb and carrots and tip the sauce into a pan. Boil the sauce until it starts to thicken.
While your lamb shanks will be the star of the show, some popular side dishes for this recipe include garlic mashed potatoes, roast veg, rice pilaf, or green salad.
Tariq Halal is a premiere halal butcher in the UK, sourcing quality, seasonal lamb year-round. For your next big meal or Sunday roast, visit our online meat shop for premium and delicious halal lamb leg steaks, lamb chops, lamb neck, and lamb shanks.