How to prepare the best Halal Lamb Samosas?
Crisp, flavourful samosas are a frequent staple when eating delicious curries. If you usually only eat them with takeaways, it’s actually a lot easier to make restaurant-quality samosas than you might think. After making them once, you’ll be sure to be making them time and time again.
Halal Lamb Samosas with Peas
This recipe uses many ingredients you may already have on hand. It will create 12 perfectly crisp and tasty samosas, but you can easily double it to make more. They’re great as a side dish, starter, or snack!
For the pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 100ml water
- 130g peas
- 525ml sunflower oil
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 250g lamb mince
- 2 potatoes, diced and cooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
For the spice mix:
- 2tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Start by making the pastry. Combine flour, salt, oil, and most of the water in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Place the dough on a floured worktop and knead until soft.
- Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes in a bowl, covered.
- Make a thick paste with some flour and water, put to the side.
- Fry the onions until soft then stir in the spices, cooking for a couple minutes.
- Add the mince and cook until browned and crumbly.
- Stir in the tomato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potato and peas to the mixture then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Leave the filling to cool.
- Separate the dough into 6 pieces and roll into balls then flatten them into thin circles.
- Cut the circles in half and spread some of the paste along one edge of your half circle. Fold to create a cone shape and press together.
- Tease open the top of the cone and gently spoon in the filling. Press the edges back together. Repeat until you have 12 halal lamb samosas.
- Heat up a new pan with 500ml of sunflower oil and fry the samosas in batches until brown and crispy.
Halal Lamb Samosas from Tariq Halal
High-quality lamb mince to make tasty lamb samosas can be bought online from Tariq Halal. We also have prepared halal lamb samosas on nights when you’re shorter on time. Visit our online meat shop to have delicious halal frozen samosas delivered right to your door.