Here’s how to make Halal Caribbean’s spaghetti bolognese
Spaghetti Bolognese is a fulfilling family favorite. If you love spaghetti but want to try something a bit different with your pasta sauce, this recipe for spaghetti Bolognese from Tariq Halal will take your pasta on a Caribbean holiday.
Halal Caribbean Spaghetti Bolognese
- 400 g halal beef mince
- 400 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots trimmed, peeled, finely diced
- 2 diced cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 25 g basil leaves (finely chopped, ¾ in the sauce, ¼ for decoration)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried or fresh)
- 1 tsp Caribbean spice mix (recipe below)*
- 125 ml red wine
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
For the Caribbean spice:
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp cumin
Recipe only needs 1 tsp of Caribbean spice mix, save the rest in an airtight container for future recipes.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the halal beef mince and a pinch of the Caribbean spice mix.
- Once the mince is browned, transfer the mince to a bowl and put it to the side.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the saucepan and reduce heat to medium. Cook the onions until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and Caribbean spice mix, basil, and oregano. Mix with the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and put the mince (with juices) into the saucepan.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes and red wine, stirring well.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the sauce thickens (about 45 minutes).
- Once the sauce is ready, add it to your cooked pasta and garnish it with parmesan cheese and the remaining basil.
- Eat and enjoy!
For the best halal beef mince in the UK, visit Tariq Halal. Our flavourful, juicy, and nutritious halal beef products will enhance all of your favourite recipes. Whether you’re in the mood for halal steaks, beef casserole, or a quick & easy spaghetti Bolognese, Tariq Halal has the perfect selection of meats to make meal times even more special.