5 Nutrition Facts About Meat That Might Surprise You
With all the diet crazes that are going around these days, you may be confused about what you are hearing. Is red meat good for you? Is red meat bad for you? What kind of fish is best? What about chicken? What are the best lean meats? Gah! You might be pulling your hair out trying to figure out what’s fact and what’s fiction. Well, here at Tariq Halal, we have a super simple guide that might help you out. The first thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing that is “bad” for you - so long as it is in moderation. Too much of anything is terrible. For example, we NEED water to live, but if you drink too much of it, you can actually die!
So, what about beef? We all know that eating lean meats such as chicken and seafood is a “better” choice than eating red meat - right? Or is that really true? Is red meat really good for us? Let’s bust some myths about red meat and focus on some surprising nutrition facts about red meat.
- Beef is high in protein and helps to build muscle mass - our bodies use protein to repair and make bone, skin & cartilage; build and maintain lean muscle mass; protein satiates us and discourages cravings. One 6 oz serving of beef has 46g of protein.
- Beef is extremely rich in necessary minerals and one serving contains more than half of the recommended daily allowances of Zinc and Selenium as well as high percentages of Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Magnesium.
- Beef is full of B vitamins including B12, B3, B6, B2, and B5. These vitamins are vital to immune function and keep you healthy.
- Beef contains creatine and antioxidants - creatine is a natural performance enhancer that we often take as additions to shakes and supplements, and glutathione is known as the “master” antioxidant and is present in large amounts in beef. Glutathione also has anti-aging benefits, increases longevity, prevents illness, reduces the risk of chronic disease, and strengthens the immune system. A deficiency would lead to stress and inflammation.
- Beef is the single largest source of L-Carnitine: b L-Carnitine is an amino acid that (when present sufficiently) has a positive impact on heart health, diabetes, and weight loss.
Tariq Halal has a fantastic selection of beef cuts to enhance your weekly menu or add to your foodservice menu. Contact us today for a consultation or to place your order for collection at a location near you. We also offer delivery directly to your door in one of our temperature-controlled lorries! www.tariqhalalmeats.co.uk