The Best Ways to Cook Chicken Legs that Will Make You Drool
Chicken legs are an often overlooked bit of chicken. They happen to be super affordable and go a very long way! They can serve loads of people, are easy to cook, take on flavor easily, and because they are considered dark meat, are often the most flavorful part of the chicken. Plus, they come with their own built-in handle which makes them ideal when it comes to cooking for the kids. Now to make them flavourful and exciting for everyone-
Homemade Crispy Fried Chicken Legs
16 chicken legs (otherwise known as chicken drumsticks)
355 ml buttermilk (1.5 cups)
710 ml veg oil for frying (about 3 cups)
473 mg of flour (approx 2 cups)
1.5 tbsp tabasco (or any hot sauce you prefer)
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (less for less spicy)
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
- Pat chicken dry with kitchen roll. Do not rinse chicken with water (ever).
- Combine buttermilk, Tabasco, salt, and half of the black pepper in a large bowl.
- Add chicken legs and mix.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to 24 hours)
- After marinating, remove legs from the buttermilk marinade and place chicken on a baking rack to allow excess buttermilk to drip off.
- Heat your oven or your warming drawer to 95C
- Place vegetable oil in frying pan to about 175C
- In a clean large bowl, combine flour, remaining black pepper, and cayenne.
- Shake the chicken leg in the seasoned flour and place it on the rack while you await the oil heating to temperature.
- Once the oil is heated to temperature, place chicken in oil in batches, frying on each side for about ten minutes, or until coating is a golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
- Using a meat thermometer is best. Thoroughly cooked should read about 75C
- Once the chicken is fried, place on a tray lined with kitchen roll (or tea towels) and place in a warming drawer or warmed oven whilst you cook additional batches
- Serve with coleslaw and potato wedges.
Tariq Halal Meats has the best selection of chicken legs for your family meal planning. Visit us online today to place your order for delivery directly to you or to find your nearest location and visit us in-store!