5 Fantastic Ways to Feast on Poultry
Poultry is a group of meats that includes much more than chicken! You also can’t forget about the delicious, nutritious, and versatile offal
What is offal?
Offal is the organs of animals that we do not throw away, but rather, utilize as sources of nutrition. This often includes gizzards, the heart, and the liver.
What can I make with offal?
Offal can be made in a number of different ways! Here are 3 mouthwatering ways to prepare chicken hearts, gizzards, and livers:
Chicken Hearts and Mushrooms
- Rinse your chicken hearts in cold water
- Add 118 ml oil to a deep and large frying pan
- Once heated, slowly add 43g of flour
- Cook for 6 minutes, or until light-medium brown, then turn heat off
- Slice hearts in half
- In a separate frying pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil over med/high heat
- Add 128g sliced mushrooms and 96g sliced onions cook for 3 minutes
- Add chicken hearts and ½ tsp garlic salt, cook for 3 minutes
- Add 414ml chicken broth, ½ tsp garlic salt, black pepper, and oregano
- Add roux and stir, reducing to a low simmer
- Cover, cook for 10 minutes
- Serve over rice
Southern Fried Chicken Gizzards
- Place 455g of rinsed gizzards into a saucepan, with enough water to cover by an inch
- Add 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp celery salt, 2 chopped stalks of celery and 1 onion cut into chunks into the pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 2.5 hours, adding water if needed to keep gizzards covered.
- After simmering, remove gizzards, discard veg, and reserve broth.
- In a bowl, mix ½ tsp celery salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp dried Italian herbs, 1 tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp cumin, and ½ tsp of hot sauce with gizzards so that gizzards are coated evenly
- Refrigerate gizzards in the mixture for 30 minutes or more. Stir frequently.
- Place 128g of flour in a plastic bag with no holes - a freezer bag should suffice.
- Pour gizzards and seasonings into the bag with flour and shake
- Gently lower a few gizzards into hot oil and fry until golden brown
Peri-Peri Chicken Livers
- Trim any excess fat off chicken livers, if any
- Heat a large pan or skillet over high heat
- Add butter to the pan and sear the chicken livers so they are brown on both sides
- Once brown, add peri-peri sauce and some fresh garlic to taste
- Cook, until you can smell garlic and sauce, begins to dry
- Pour in some cream (heavy whipping cream) about 100g and some lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce
Tariq Halal Meats has all the best variety of halal offal for you to enjoy some fancy poultry-based feasting that you may not have ever considered! Visit us online to order for delivery or find your nearest location!