A Guide to cooking lamb perfectly: Cooking and Preparation Tips
As a leaner red meat, lamb is a much healthier option to put on your plate when compared to other types of red meat. It’s also full of essential vitamins and nutrients like vitamin B12, vitamin B6, niacin, selenium, zinc, and iron. Together, these vitamins and nutrients boost your immune system, heart health, and brain function.
If you want to add lamb into your meal routine, the leg of lamb is of the most popular choices because of how much flavor it holds. It’s also a cost-effective cut and is very easy to roast. To get started, try this slow roast leg of lamb recipe from Tariq Halal.
- 2kg-2.5kg legs of lamb
- small bunch of fresh rosemary cut into 2cm sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thickly
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Remove all packaging, being sure to keep a note of the weight to help you calculate the leg of lamb cooking time.
- Make 5cm incisions at an angle into the lamb using a small sharp knife. Making the cuts at an angle will allow for more of the flavoring to soak deep within the meat.
- Push a sprig of rosemary and some garlic into each of the incisions, pressing them in well with your finger. Once all the incisions are filled, season the entire leg of lamb with salt and pepper and rub it all over with olive oil.
- Line the roasting tin with the onions and place the seasoned leg of lamb on top.
- Roast the lamb for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and continue roasting for another 15-20 mins per 500g.
- You can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the lamb if you prefer pinker meat. Aim for 55C for medium (pink) and 70C for well done.
When your lamb is done roasting, cover it with foil and allow it to rest for 15 mins before carving it. Covering it with foil after it’s out of the oven will help keep the juices and warmth in while it rests. Save the onions and the juice from the tray to ladle over the meat as a delicious and rich gravy.
For the best and high-quality halal meat, continue browsing our website.